spanish cedar outdoor bench,

          So ive set this goal of one project a month in the shop that has zero to do with my day to day work, I have next months in my head and hopefully i can fit it in a month time frame but wont be upset if it doesnt,
   As the weather grew warmer last month I wanted to do an outdoor project and as there is a ton of spanish cedar in the shop I figured that was a good plan. So i started thumbing through my collection of magazine, books and catalogs. I found a bench featured in a book from fine woodworking and that looks like a good start,
          recently things have changed alot and the changes will continue the shop was something I loved and my time there was my break from everything else. A good bit of the the things in the shop are things i have added over the past years, and a larger portion has been building since i was a child by my father and things from my grandfather, The shop was my only real anchor to this area, and to move away meant that i would lose all of that and would spend years trying to replace and rebuild it, And the thought of that was hard and I dont know if I when i do leave this area if i will pursue rebuilding it or what yet. So that give me about a year with everything i have at my current disposal. so onwards with junes project,


  I like the basic shape and some of the construction methods so some was keep and the rest of the instructions were tossed out. 
      
   This is one of the moments thats hard for me. I try not to waste material, but those back legs should be all one chunk of wood, so after pulling a few boards out and fitting to get the most out of it I started cutting parts out. 
       ok looking like a chair of sorts. If you have never worked with spanish cedar, its really nice to work with, except for the dust with for me gives an odd taste in the mouth, and some are actually allergic to it. Other wise it cuts easily and really is a joy to work with hand tools on.
        Lots of mortise and tenon joinery going on here, I was able to put the tenon jig I picked up at a tool swap to good use.

                        








did some test assembly and cleaned up a few of the joints as well. also gave the seat a slight curve, 

fitted up everything before the final shaping, and sanding and thats it for now.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IPE deck