Lets kick this off with something kinda of fun,
I do a lot of work for a local industrial park, and they had cut up a cherry tree. I grabbed a few chunks of it and dropped them off at the shop no real plan for them at the time but the ones I grabbed were going to have some nice figure so away they went. So they sat in the shop for a while to dry until i saw a stool in fine wood working by Alan Turner, who is actually close by and teaches at the philly furniture workshop. So up until this point I have rebuilt chairs of all kinds, but never one all the way.
 
    So now I wanted a shop stool. Not just any shop stool. But one that when people come to the shop it throws them a bit off. Its a shop. things get knocked over, spilled, sometimes there is fire, its not a safer environment for things to stay in.  So why spend the time and effort of something that is nice when chances are it going to get some abuse (i stopped counting how many times ive knocked it over) why not. I makes me smile when I see it and its comfortable,  so thats it below and thats me on it doing something, maybe even something important,

   It started as a rough log. That I chainsawed in into a few slices then spent some time getting it flat.
thats the eariles picture I can find, sorry. From there I shaped it into a seat.
This had some really nice figuring as it was from the crotch of a tree. Where the one i drew inspiration from was graceful and delicate i wanted to carry some of that but also make mine a bit more heavier as it was going to live a rough life. I wanted a gentle curve in the legs and seat to lighten the look up, I drilled some holes at angles to splay the legs outward and set to turning the legs to fit, 

from there I created a router jig to shape the legs and set them in place. 
happy with that I set to shaping the seat, A good bit of time spent at the table saw and a healthy bit of belt sanding and I had a comfortable seat. 

With that finished it was back to the legs for streachers and some mortise and tenon joinery. 

A center stretcher was added slot were cut into the ends of the legs for wedges and lots of sanding, shaping and trimming later it was actually usable, 


so how about some finished shots?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

spanish cedar outdoor bench,

IPE deck